I've continued plowing my way thru the 2nd edition
of PHP and MySQL Web Development by Welling and
Thomson. I've made it to chapter 24, where I've just
read that for this chapter's project I "will need to
have switched on magic quotes" or use addslashes()
and stripslashes().

So I checked via phpinfo() and found
magic_quotes_gpc "On", but magic_quotes_runtime and
magic_quotes_sybase both "Off".

Now I'm guessing that magic_quotes_runtime is the
one I need to have on, but is that so? I'm also
guessing that aside from using addslashes() and
stripslashes(), I could prob'ly turn on magic_quotes
in php_ini.

But perhaps because of how I've heard turning
register_globals on via php.ini is a security
hazard, I'm leery of messing with php.ini at all.

Can anyone advise, please?

Thank you.

Steve Tiano