That would be based on 'realms'.

see : http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#authname for more
info on how to set that.

Basicaly, most browsers cache the userid and password as long as the page
you are viewing is within the same realm (don't ask for userid and
password again).

Your solution would therefore be to define your realm as (or anything
else) "mysite's protected content" in protected_files/ and then "mysite's
protected content part one" in protected_files/one/ , "mysite's protected
content part two" in protected_files/two/ .. within your htaccess files.
As long as it's different, the browser will ask for the user name and
password again.

Hope that helps,
Andrew