From: Larry Brown [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 04 January 2004 16:58
To: Tarrant Costelloe; PHP List
Subject: RE: [PHP] PHP, Server-Side?

You can create a soap server.  I have one set up, the client side runs a
function which is translated into xml sent to the other server (in my
case over ssl) the other server translates to php, executes the function
and returns the results.  You create the actual code for the function on
the server and give the client details on what the function does and
what data it requires.  If you build both it is very easy.  The client
has no other options but to run the function name while supplying the
data.  ex.

server...

function pullLatestReport($login,$password,$howfarback)
{

        check db for authentication...

                if auth correct to run this function run

                        do queries nec. for request return result.
                else
                        return error
}

As you can see the server has total control over what gets executed,
soap is designed to be platform independant.  .net, java etc. can be
used as the client.  Of course that is only a added benefit since you
are making both ends.

I use nusoap which is all php and isn't too hard to figure out.

Larry.