From: Ray Hunter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, January 09, 2004 8:46 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] Display syslog file?

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 07:28, Carlton L. Whitmore wrote:
> I didn't make my last request very clear. I used lastlog as an
> example, but what I really want to do is open a syslog file (text
> file), that is coming in from a VPN box.

That is easy enough to do if you have access to the syslog file. Most
syslog files are written by root so you need to have privileges to read
the file. You might want to check to see if syslogd will write and
change the file permissions.

> I'd like to have it displayed live so I can scan it during the day.
> What is the best way to do this? Someone had suggested using cron, but

> I'm very new to Linux and PHP so I would need some help with that. Any

> help is appreciated,

How do you want to display it? through a webserver or some other method?

Do you want specific info from the syslog file(s). There are many syslog
files that you can look at. Be more specific.

--
Ray