Well, I downloaded Apache and PHP, installed Apache, and was had a bunch of questions to ask - until I tested Apache and discovered it's already working!

I go into Start Programs, then click Control Apache Server > Start, and the little black window opens. I click <ESC> to close it.

But before I wade through all the documentation, I thought I might speed things up by cutting to the chase. My first goal is to be able to preview web pages made with Dreamweaver on my new Apache server. Then I'll install PHP and get it up and running.

In preparation for using Apache/PHP, I began listing PHP/MySQL as the testing server in my site definitions. (Apache isn't listed as a choice.)

That screwed things up immediately, but I could access my pages by simply accessing a web page I created with links to all the websites on my computer.

Now that I have Apache installed, I need to figure out what I have to fix in either Apache or Dreamweaver so that I can preview pages directly in Dreamweaver.

The URL prefix for each of my defined websites is http://localhost/

I just discovered that if I try to preview the home page of a website that has NOT been defined, I get the following message:

"To preview pages containing server-side code, you need a testing server. Would you like to specify one now?"

If I go through the process, choosing PHP/MySQL, I get an error message. But if I cancel out of the process, the page defaults to the correct URL, such as file:///C:/sites/geobop/index.php or file:///C:/sites/geobop/index.php

So here are three questions:

1. Do I need to fix something in Dreamweaver or Apache?

2. When everything's correctly set up, should the URL's of web pages on my computer begin with file:///C:/sites/ or "localhost"?

3. Since my testing server is PHP/MySQL, does that mean I won't be able to preview my pages at all until I've also installed PHP?

Thanks.