On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Mike R wrote:
> > i had a problem like the one you descriped. The problem was quite
> > simple. In my case everything worked fine with Windows-Web-Browsers
> > but not with MAC-Browsers. Check the value of the filetype variable.
> > There might be differences between different plattforms.
>
> I'm sorry to sound stupid here, but what do you mean by that? :\

This occurred to me too, but I couldn't find the thread to respond...

I think he means that the server may be returning an incorrect
Content-type header for jpeg images. IE is especially notorious for
(incorrectly) ignoring this information if it can match the file extension
to a file type registered on the local machine.

In an ideal world, all http clients should respect the Content-type header
to determine the file type. A .jpg should be Content-type: image/jpeg

Normally this is set in your server configuration. However, if they are
being served by a script that is outputting the raw data to the client,
you may need to send this header from the script.  That would explain why
Mac users see the problem only with uploaded images (did you say?).

In PHP you would set the Content-type header like so:
header("Content-type: image/jpeg");

--
Kelly Hallman
// Ultrafancy