BK> PHP page causes the whole httpd to stop responding momentarily;
BK> no sites will load, those that are loading stop in the middle.
BK> But after say 30-45 seconds it continues just fine

> BR> First of all, make sure that display_errors in your php.ini
> BR> file is set to On.  I believe that the distribution file that
> BR> comes with PHP has it set to Off by default.  Once it's set
> BR> to On, see if you can get it to generate an error and post it.

>> BK> I've just tried setting that. I get absolutely no errors
>> BK> whatsoever. Could this be more of an Apache error?

I included part of your original message in here because it must've been a part that I skimmed over. I didn't realize that you meant the entire httpd was stalling. During that 30-45 seconds, no site pages will load at all? What about after the 30-45 seconds? Does the page that caused the stall continue processing, or does it time out? It sounds to me like Apache is rebooting itself.

There're several factors here that need to be addressed: 1) is it a code problem (if so, what code is causing the problem and what's the error--perhaps check Apache's error log); 2) is it only happening on one page, several specific pages running similar code, or random pages; 3) does the code connect to a database (if so, what kind of database)?

I think you need to try to address these issues before you can continue debugging. As it stands, it could be a problem with your code, with Apache, with a database, etc. There're really no leads (that I can see) to give us a clue as to where the problem is. Your best bet is to check the Apache error logs and see if an error is being generated and saved there.

Perhaps someone else could offer some better suggestions than I?

-Ben