----- Original Message -----
From: "joel boonstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, January 16, 2004 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: [PHP] odd and even numbers

> On Fri, Jan 16, 2004 at 02:30:59PM -0600, Jeremy wrote:
> > function isOdd ($value) {
> > return (int)$value % 2 ? true : false;
> > }
> >
> > Returns true/false if the value is odd. Also rounds down floating point
numbers given as the test value.

> No need to explicitly state "true" and "false".  Just negate the result
> of your modulus operator, and take advantage of the fact that "0" is
> false, and "1" is true:
>
> function isOdd ($value) {
>   return !((int)$value % 2);
> }
>
> --
> [ joel boonstra | gospelcom.net ]

This worked.. somewhat.. here is what I want to do though.

I have two people checking the same email address. I want to break up the
emails 50/50 to each person. What values can I put into the random number
generator so that I can get closer to 50/50. I just set up a test page with:

$rand = rand(1, 501);

echo $rand;

if ($rand % 2 == 0)
  echo "even";
else
  echo "odd";

and I'm getting a lot more evens than odds, so the one person would get more
emails than the other. Is there any substitution to rand that I could use to
get one message to go to one person, then the next to the other? I'd like it
to be as close to 50/50 as possible.

any questions, let me know

Thanks,
Jake