if you are using sessions:
remove session_start() inside the downloadscript
or play around with http-headers, e.g.:

session_start();
header("Expires: ".gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s", 0)." GMT");
header("Last-Modified: ".gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s")." GMT");
header("Cache-Control: private, max-age:0");
header("Pragma: no-cache");

or download the file without the php-script and analyse the
http-headers with a network-sniffer
(http://www.ethereal.com)

g. martin luethi

Vincent Jansen wrote:
 > I use
 >
 >   header("Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT");
 >   header("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate");
 >   header("Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0", false);
 >   header("Pragma: no-cache");
 >   header( "Content-type: application/x-excel" );
 >   header( "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=MyFile.xls"
 > );
 >   header( "Content-Description: PHP Generated Data" );
 >
 > For me this works in both IE6 and Mozilla 1.5

None of these ideas seem to work. In fact, I don't think .htaccess files even work on a Windows server running IIS. But I could probably achieve the save results by playing with the extensions in IIS.

At any rate, I tried it in IE6, and it prompts me to download it
correctly and without the ".php" extension on the end.  I had been
trying it in Mozilla Firebird 0.7 prior to that.  Since the client uses
IE rather than Mozilla, then I won't worry about it for now.  However,
it still would be a good idea to find a way to resolve it.  Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Ben