we import a database that has among other things, listings of
locations by address, city, county and zip, and our customers would
like their website to have a 'within $x miles of $address $city $zip'
search in addition to the other searching they already have.  another
customer would like to have a click on the map to do a search of
within 25 miles of where on the map they clicked on the same
database.  anyone have any pointers, tips or links on how to do
either of these searches?

the database changes frequently (nearly daily updates from a 3rd
party that currently is having problems filling in all the fields
they said they would give us) and contains over 10000 records, so it
wouldn't be practical to add information to the records manually to
facilitate a location/distance based search.  we do add some
additional fields automaticly, so it won't be a huge problem/rewrite
to add additional columns in an automated fashion.