Tim, et al --

...and then Tim Thorburn said...
%
% Hi,

Hi!

%
% A client of mine asked today if I could setup their current mass mailer to
% send out attachments - I've never sent attachments with the mail() function
% before, but before we get into that ... I wanted to ask an opinion of the
% group.
%
% This is the way I'm pitching it tomorrow, but are there any benefits to
% actually sending these ppl a file attachment to their email that maybe I'm
% not realizing?

I'm at the far, far extreme of the "no eye candy email" camp, so don't
get me wrong, but the obvious benefit of sending the attachment along
with the email is that it is then there for the user when he reads his
mail, whether he is on the 'net or not.  I spend little time on web sites
and almost none on forums (everyone's favorite, I know), but I get over a
thousand emails a day (29382 so far this month).  When I get an important
email that requires me to drag out the web browser, it immediately becomes
pretty unimportant.

That said, I also agree that your mail queue times will go way up if
you're sending large attachments along, so if you *do* attach, it should
be 1) relevant & required and 2) compact.  What sort(s) of attachments
are they considering?  If they want HTML-ized mail with pictures and
stationery backgrounds, then tell 'em to go and jump in the lake (well,
when dealing with the client, who is always right, sometimes we have to
be more diplomatic).  If they're sending huge MS-Offends files around,
strongly encourage them to re-think the presentation method and at least
to strip to RTF and then zip to compress.  If it's, say, a PGP signature,
then congratulate them and get to work :-)

%
% Thanks

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"