Mark Charette wrote:
> If you read through the archives you'll find it isn't so much that
> PHP is the problem per se, but many of the PHP modules. If you use the
> multi-threading model of Apache 2 (the raison d'etre for using
> Apache 2 for
> most people) then all the modules have to be thread-safe, and that's a
> non-trivial matter for many of the module authors and maintainers. If
> you use the pre-fork model of Apache 2 then you essentially have the
> "regular" version of Apache.

I am using the pre-forked model in Apache2 yes. So far I haven't noticed any
problems with PHP(4/5beta).

If the problems with PHP is with the non pre-forked models, then its time to
update the recommendation to not run PHP on Apache2. Instead it should
explain why it doesn't work and that if pre-forked is used there are no
problems.

Since this problem is known maybe even modules that cause the problems could
be indicated as non pre-forked compatible. After all I might not need any of
them and could thus use a non pre-forked model for PHP.

As I understand this is not a recently discovered problem. Therefore I
wonder what is done to fix the modules not working properly. Is it possible
to fix for all modules?

Even though PHP is very popular, and gaining more and more popularity at all
levels, this is a potential show stopper. This comes with a performance loss
(can't imagine anything else since it is a major new feature in Apache2) and
thus a negative "thing" for PHP.

/Thomas