quite possibly you did not compile PHP with mcrypt
library support.

for linux distrib's, mcrypt is not default, you have
to specify ./configure --with-mcrypt to get mcrypt
functionality (i dont know whether it's included
by default with the win binary, but i doubt it)

do the phpinfo() thing and see if mcrypt is there.