Using system in this manner may work for small scripts/programs that only need authentication of the webserver. But for something like restarting a service I use a shell script run as a cron job then just call a system("touch /path/to/temp/file") which the cronjob looks at to see if it should restart a service.

just 2 cents
Jas

Ammar Ibrahim wrote:

maybe if you put Call1 and Call2 in seprate PHP files, and you call both of
them. i guess it would work

Ammar
"John Clegg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi

I would like to be able to execute 2 system calls simultaneously. I am
not interested in the output and I would like to do the equivalent of a
fork as these programs take a long time.

eg

system('/usr/local/bin/process_file file1');
system('/usr/local/bin/process_file file2');

Any suggestions on what to use???

Cheers

John Clegg