Hello Richard,

Normally the distinct calause in sql serves this purpose but it seems that the way your DB is designed you cannot make use of it. The bad news is that you might have to read all the rows split them by the pipe symbol and insert them into a list manually. ouch!

Richard Kurth wrote:

I am pulling data from a database that list the Language a person
speaks. It is in a format like this.

English||Spanish
English
English||Portuguese||Finnish
English||Japanese||German
English
English
German

each time it looks at a new record it list all the languages that that
person speaks with a double pipe in between each language.

What I need to do is find all the unique languages so I can generate a
list of languages that do not have any repeats in it. so the list above
would be   English,Portuguese,Finnish,Japanese,German,Spanish in any
order

How would I go about this. I can not change the format of the database
and there are over 200 people listed in the database.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.