I have the following sql query in my Php code:

$sql = "SELECT id, date_day, date_month, date_year, title, content FROM $table_name
ORDER BY date_year desc";

The rest of the php code is just a simple db connection with a bullet list
and 'while' loop with an 'echo result' request.

This shows a list of dates with latest year on top of list.
I have  Select/Option boxes to chose day,month,year etc to fill in Php form
to update database.

This is result of sql query:

   2-August-2007
  1-January-2007
30-December-2007
     8-July-2006
29-February-2006
    3-March-2006
16-February-2005
  1-January-2004

Although it lists in year order descending (in fact what I asked it to do)
I would like to learn to sort the months and days into desc order properly too.

Can anyone suggest how I achieve this with php code.

Thank you in advance