From: "Shaunak Kashyap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > My inclination would be to just use the DB, have linked tables with
> > languages and pieces of text in various languages. A single query could
> > get a full language preference setting for a site, and a little array
> > munging could turn it into a usable set of key/value pairs, where the
key
> > is the context of the text, and the value if the text itself.
> >
> > (Been thinking about this alot, since I'm being asked to develop a
hybrid
> > flash/html site that needs to be in Spanish and English)
> >

> Yes, I would also recommend the DB approach. The tables in your DB that
> contain language-sensitive information would probably have a languageId
> field which you could use to limit your result set to a specific language.

Databases are good, but you don't want to be pulling all the text for all of
your pages out of the database every time. I'd combine a database
administration / storage solution that let's you store different
translations of text in combination with static pages or templates that are
written from the data in the database. Depending on what your site is about,
how it's organized, etc, the "static" pages could be written as plain HTML,
text, PHP include files, or even PHP variables.

---John Holmes...