That version number isn't the current version of MySQL PHP is running with,
it doesn't have one. PHP can be (and before 5.0 is by default) compiled with
MySQL client libraries so it is able to access MySQL databases.

The version of PHP you have installed was compiled with the 3.23.58 client
libraries. If it's really important to you that those version numbers match,
recompile PHP.

I don't think you'll have any problems.

Chris