Hi,

I am a guy who doesn't believe in 'requests per second' and 'number of concurrent users' stats so please ignore the rest of this message if you wish:

The problem here could be that while it's possible to improve the speed of execution it's not possible to do so for the full set of functions or features available in a particular language. There will be areas where there is huge boost in speed and there may be areas where there is slow down and it's quite possible that you have hit one of them.

Secondly it's quite possible that the optimization techniques used with one version may be counter productive with another version.
If you better describe the functionality of your pages i think you will be more likely to recieve a better answer (from me or someone better qualified).

best regards.

Andrew Lee Paul wrote:

Hello all

I have recently installed PHP 5.0 Beta 4 on my
development server and am very concerned with
performance. I have read everywhere, that PHP5 offers
increased performance. However, in my tests, the
requests per second have decreased dramatically:

PHP5: Requests per second:    4.23 [#/sec] (mean)
PHP4: Requests per second:    23.08 [#/sec] (mean)

Full test results are below.

The environment and the requested page are identical
in both tests (using ab). The tests were run on
Apache/1.3.28.

Has anyone else experienced similar behavior? Or can
anyone suggest what is happening...

Thank you in advance.

Andrew

Results with PHP5 module loaded <<

<snip>

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   236.372 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Broken pipe errors:     0
Total transferred:      12732000 bytes
HTML transferred:       12514000 bytes
Time per request:       2363.72 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       236.37 [ms] (mean, across all
concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          53.86 [Kbytes/sec] received

<snip>

Results with PHP4 module loaded <<

<snip>

Concurrency Level:      10
Time taken for tests:   43.328 seconds
Complete requests:      1000
Failed requests:        0
Broken pipe errors:     0
Total transferred:      12728000 bytes
HTML transferred:       12514000 bytes
Time per request:       433.28 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       43.33 [ms] (mean, across all
concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          293.76 [Kbytes/sec] received

<snip>

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools

--
Raditha Dissanayake.