joel boonstra wrote:

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 10:35:11AM +1100, Justin French wrote:

1. Parse the text on demand into HTML -- the parsing script is to heavy/slow for this.

2. Store both the plain (shorthand HTML) text and parsed XHTML versions of each field -- the problem with this being that i'm storing double the data in the database... combine this with versioning of each 'page', and I'm going to be storing a LOT of data in the DB.

<snip>

3. write a reverse set of functions which converts the XHTML back to the shorthand on demand for editing -- this seems great, but I don't like the idea of maintaining two functions for such a beast.

Has anyone got any further ideas?

4. Store the plain (shorthand HTML) text and when users 'save' changes,
generate a static page containing the transformed XHTML version.  You
will have the processing overhead once (when data is changed), and
everytime else visitors get static files.

Isn't that just an alternate version of #2? You're still duplicating the data and taking up storage space. Again, I wouldn't really be worried about this, but that's the issue presented in #2. Sure, static files would probably be faster, but that doesn't answer the issue of when/how to do the conversion.

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com