You're not being rude.  I contacted them immediately about the script
errors and described what seemed to be a security hole.  The tech I
spoke with didn't know what I was talking about, so I asked them to
notify the owner of the problem and that I'd research it more and let
them know of anything I find.

I received email shortly thereafter saying that they disabled
open_basedir on the server in response.

-Ed