php-general Digest 21 Feb 2004 13:41:53 -0000 Issue 2603

Topics (messages 178419 through 178441):

CMS and images, how?
        178419 by: Toby Irmer

Re: Self Submitting Form
        178420 by: Toby Irmer
        178432 by: Sam Masiello
        178433 by: Tom Rogers
        178434 by: Toby Irmer

Upload and database
        178421 by: Will
        178425 by: electroteque

HELP PLEASE!
        178422 by: 3mip1s4la/Nath/Pisanty
        178430 by: Nitin Mehta

Error
        178423 by: Tim Trimble
        178424 by: John Nichel
        178427 by: John Nichel
        178428 by: Nitin Mehta
        178437 by: Jason Wong

HTML email problem: IMAP
        178426 by: Ryan A
        178429 by: Manuel Lemos

Slight cleaning of code needed in str_replace command.
        178431 by: Dave G
        178438 by: Jason Wong

Re: [PEAR] Re: PEAR DB 1.6.0 has been released
        178435 by: Lukas Smith

Re: undelivery mails
        178436 by: Jason Wong

delete a function
        178439 by: Sztankó Demeter

PHP Session question.  Please help!
        178440 by: Bon

Simple example of expiring download pages?
        178441 by: Brian Dunning

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
Hi there,

I am presently coding a little CMS. I want to give users the
possibility to add images to articles as easily and flexibly as
possible.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to do it? So far, you can
upload an image which then is checked for its dimensions. If
necessary, the user is redirected to a flash tool that enables you to
resize the image (imagemagick), a given aspect ratio is kept. A thumb is created and
those two files
are written to the database.

I also write the alignment to the database as chosen during upload. And I have a
template
system that replaces tags like #img1# in a template with a table
to nicely display the images from the db.

The only problem is: how do I allow users to insert those images in
the text? If I work with a fixed template, the number of images in an
article is limited... I have thought about using buttons that you
could press while editing the text that would then capture the cursor
position in the textarea. But that would only work in IE and is not a
very nice solution...

Thank you for your suggestions...

toby

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Hi Sam,

I am not sure I know what you want to do...

I tried to recreate your problem:

test.html

<form name="myform1" method="get" action="">
  <input type="hidden" name="myvar1" value="testing">
    <script>
                window.open("test2.html", "test");
    </script>
</form>

test2.html

<BODY onLoad="document.forms[0].submit();">
<form name="myform1" method="get" action="test3.html">
  <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="do_preview" VALUE="1">
    <script>
      document.write('<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="itworks"
VALUE="'+opener.myform1.myvar1.value+'">');
    </script>
</FORM>
</BODY>

test3.html

<script language="Javascript">
        function parseQueryString (str)
        {
                str = str ? str : location.search;
                var query = str.charAt(0) == '?' ? str.substring(1) : str;
                var args = new Object();
                if (query)
                {
                var fields = query.split('&');
                        for (var f = 0; f < fields.length; f++)
                        {
                        var field = fields[f].split('=');
                        args[unescape(field[0].replace(/\+/g, ' '))] =
unescape(field[1].replace(/\+/g, ' '));
                 return args;
        }

        var args = parseQueryString ();
        for (var arg in args)
        {
          document.write(arg + ': ' + args[arg] + '<BR>');
        }
</script>

And the output is:

do_preview: 1
itworks: testing

As should be expected...

Pls try to specify your problem.

toby

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

Hi Toby!

Thank you for your suggestion, but unfortunately you are using GET in your test2.html
file.  I specifically stated in my initial email that due to the fact that I am using
textareas in my original form (your test1.html) that I did not want to use GET for it
might run the risk of overstepping the bounds of how many characters the browser will
accept in the GET string.

Any other suggestions that anyone else has would be most appreciated as I am still
pretty stuck on this.

As always, thanks in advance!

--Sam

________________________________

Saturday, February 21, 2004, 8:00:43 AM, you wrote:

SM> My apologies if this post is somewhat OT.  I am having some trouble
SM> figuring something out, and I am hoping you can help.

SM> I have a PHP web form on which a user can enter a number of different
SM> things
SM> into both text and textarea fields.  At the bottom of the form is a
SM> preview button which opens another browser window.

SM> I know I can use the GET string to pass these form fields from one
SM> PHP page to another, but with
SM> textareas involved and the possibly large amounts of text being
SM> passed, I didn't want to run the possibility of overrunning the limit
SM> on a GET string.  So I figured using a form POST would be more
SM> appropriate.

SM> My thought was to create a self submitting form in the child window, but
SM> I am having
SM> trouble getting it to work (or maybe I should try a different method
SM> entirely to do this...any suggestion welcome!).  My code for the
SM> preview window (which contains the self submitting form is as
SM> follows:

SM> <?
SM> if ($do_preview) {
SM>    echo $myvar; exit;
SM> }
?>>

SM> <HTML>
SM> <HEAD>
SM> <TITLE></TITLE>
SM> <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" CONTENT="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

SM> </HEAD>
SM> <BODY onLoad="document.preview_form.submit()" BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF"
SM> TEXT="#000000" LINK="#000000"> <FORM NAME="preview_form" METHOD="post"
SM> ACTION="<? echo $PHP_SELF ?>">
SM>   <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="do_preview" VALUE="1">
SM>     <script>
SM>       document.write('<INPUT TYPE="hidden"
SM> NAME="myvar"VALUE="'+opener.myform1.myvar1.value+'">');
SM>     </script>
SM> </FORM>
SM> </BODY>
SM> </HTML>

SM> (I also tried doing an eval within the VALUE attribute, but all that did
SM> was set myvar to the text that I had between the quotes :) )

SM> When I click the preview button on the parent window, I would like to
SM> see the value of the myvar1 variable when the form self
SM> submits...unfortunately, I get nothing.  I know it is getting into my
SM> $do_preview block at the top, and I am accessing the variable
SM> correctly because if I do an alert(opener.myform1.myvar1.value), I
SM> get the proper value.

SM> Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

SM> --Sam

SM> --

You need to use sessions to store the data between pages

--
regards,
Tom

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi Sam,

I did that only because I was too lazy to upload and did the testing
locally so I could grab the value in Javascript.

Of course it works with post as well...

test.html

<form name="myform1" method="get" action="">
  <input type="hidden" name="myvar1" value="testing">
    <script>
                window.open("test2.html", "test");
    </script>
</form>

test2.html

<BODY onLoad="document.forms[0].submit();">
<form name="myform1" method="post" action="test.php">
  <INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="do_preview" VALUE="1">
    <script>
      document.write('<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="itworks"
VALUE="'+opener.myform1.myvar1.value+'">');
    </script>
</FORM>
</BODY>

test.php

<?
print_r($_POST);
?>

Outputs:

Array ( [do_preview] => 1 [itworks] => testing )

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hello all,
I tried to search the archives and PHP.NET and did not find anything or I missed it

Anyway here is my question:
I want to upload 2 files to the database. Perferribly the whole image into the data base (blob). I cannot figure it out.

When I check the database it is empty!! :(

Thanks in advance.
--- End Message ---
Make it easier on yourself just store the filename dude

I tried to search the archives and PHP.NET and did not find anything or
I missed it

Anyway here is my question:
I want to upload 2 files to the database. Perferribly the whole image
into the data base (blob).  I cannot figure it out.

When I check the database it is empty!! :(

Thanks in advance.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
this is my first post, so please bear with me.

I'm developing a Mayan Oracle based on PHP and MySQL. the program and
database work perfectly, and do all I want them to. however, the thing
has a graphical interface that I built using Macromedia Fireworks and
Dreamweaver, with some images chaning along with other things, and
this is the part that's faulty.

the program checks whether a form has been filled. if not, it displays
the form. if it has, it then validates, and on a false shows the form
again. on a true, it does lots of processing and MySQL checking, and
then shows the output page.

both form pages along with the output page are included as different
files to facilitate graphical edition. all the snippets of actual
human language are included in another external file, to facilitate
addition of languages.

the form pages are both one page, form.php, which distinguishes
between first and second filling in case of invalid data. the output
page is called canvas.php, and right now I have canvas.php as
completely static, and canvas2.php with all the coding needed to
display properly. the main program, 01.php, does not send the client
any code in itself (just the included files in their entirety, alone).

THE PROBLEM: when I load the canvas.php page independently in
Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape and Explorer it displays perfectly. the
problem comes when I load this file through 01.php, and then it gets
rumbled up. I've seen this on most computers with
Firefox/Mozilla/netscape, and not on Explorer. what the hell? any hel
would be welcome.

I have http://200.39.201.43/hideout/project/final/01.php pointing to
the static canvas.php and
http://200.39.201.43/hideout/project/final/02.php pointing to the
dynamic canvas2.php

if you can sort this out I'll be eternally grateful. I'll post the
programs on request - they're quite large for mailing.

thanks in advance,

    3mip1s4la

The Official Dream Theater Site - http://www.dreamtheater.net/
Get your own Web-based E-mail Service at http://www.zzn.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
look at the html code, this is no problem related to php, but the HTML.

Hope that helps
Nitin

> this is my first post, so please bear with me.
>
> I'm developing a Mayan Oracle based on PHP and MySQL. the program and
> database work perfectly, and do all I want them to. however, the thing
> has a graphical interface that I built using Macromedia Fireworks and
> Dreamweaver, with some images chaning along with other things, and
> this is the part that's faulty.
>
> the program checks whether a form has been filled. if not, it displays
> the form. if it has, it then validates, and on a false shows the form
> again. on a true, it does lots of processing and MySQL checking, and
> then shows the output page.
>
> both form pages along with the output page are included as different
> files to facilitate graphical edition. all the snippets of actual
> human language are included in another external file, to facilitate
> addition of languages.
>
> the form pages are both one page, form.php, which distinguishes
> between first and second filling in case of invalid data. the output
> page is called canvas.php, and right now I have canvas.php as
> completely static, and canvas2.php with all the coding needed to
> display properly. the main program, 01.php, does not send the client
> any code in itself (just the included files in their entirety, alone).
>
> THE PROBLEM: when I load the canvas.php page independently in
> Firefox/Mozilla/Netscape and Explorer it displays perfectly. the
> problem comes when I load this file through 01.php, and then it gets
> rumbled up. I've seen this on most computers with
> Firefox/Mozilla/netscape, and not on Explorer. what the hell? any hel
> would be welcome.
>
> I have http://200.39.201.43/hideout/project/final/01.php pointing to
> the static canvas.php and
> http://200.39.201.43/hideout/project/final/02.php pointing to the
> dynamic canvas2.php
>
> if you can sort this out I'll be eternally grateful. I'll post the
> programs on request - they're quite large for mailing.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
>     3mip1s4la
>
> The Official Dream Theater Site - http://www.dreamtheater.net/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
     I'm stuck.  I'm running a default copy of Redhat 7.2. with PHP - 4.0.6-7  and
Mysql - 3.23.41-1 running on Apache - 1.3020-16.  When I try to load a php page I get
this error.

 Warning: Failed opening '/var/www/html/phpadmin/index.php' for inclusion
(include_path='.:/php/include :/usr/share/php') in Unknown on line 0

 Can you direct me to a fix for this...

                                 Thanks...Tim Trimble

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Tim Trimble wrote:

I'm stuck. I'm running a default copy of Redhat 7.2. with PHP - 4.0.6-7 and Mysql - 3.23.41-1 running on Apache - 1.3020-16. When I try to load a php page I get this error.

Warning: Failed opening '/var/www/html/phpadmin/index.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/php/include :/usr/share/php') in Unknown on line 0
Can you direct me to a fix for this...
Thanks...Tim Trimble

Post some code as to what you're trying to open.

Does your webserver have read permission on the directory / file that you're trying to open?

Please wrap your lines.

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Please don't reply directly to me (or other members of the list) unless asked to do so. When you reply off-list, the messages do not get archived, and will not be searchable to those who may encounter the same problem. Also, please don't post HTML formatted / multi-part messages. Plain text is better for everyone.

Tim Trimble wrote:
<snip>
This is the page I want to open, it is the admin program for php. Right now it is set to
low security "config"
http://web.dsde.net/phpadmin/index.php

It does us no good to see the output of this. We need to see the code which is causing the error. Post the code contained within 'index.php'

The directory it's in is under the apache doc directory '/var/www/html/phpadmin/index.php'

What are the permissions on the directory and the file? Can your webserver (which is probably running as nobody/nobody) read both the directory and the file?

--
By-Tor.com
It's all about the Rush

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
May be the cause is, that you've specified some include file with
include('somefile');

but the file doesn't exist in /usr/share/php dir, which is the default path
for include (.inc) files to be saved.

Hope that helps
Nitin

> Please don't reply directly to me (or other members of the list) unless
> asked to do so.  When you reply off-list, the messages do not get
> archived, and will not be searchable to those who may encounter the same
> problem.  Also, please don't post HTML formatted / multi-part messages.
>   Plain text is better for everyone.
>
> Tim Trimble wrote:
> <snip>
> > This is the page I want to open, it is the admin program for php.  Right
> > now it is set to
> > low security "config"
> > http://web.dsde.net/phpadmin/index.php
>
> It does us no good to see the output of this.  We need to see the code
> which is causing the error.  Post the code contained within 'index.php'
>
> > The directory it's in is under the apache doc directory
> > '/var/www/html/phpadmin/index.php'
>
> What are the permissions on the directory and the file?  Can your
> webserver (which is probably running as nobody/nobody) read both the
> directory and the file?
>
> --
> By-Tor.com
> It's all about the Rush
> http://www.by-tor.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Saturday 21 February 2004 10:02, Tim Trimble wrote:

>  Warning: Failed opening '/var/www/html/phpadmin/index.php' for inclusion
> (include_path='.:/php/include :/usr/share/php') in Unknown on line 0
>
>  Can you direct me to a fix for this...

Look at php.ini and check the settings for the auto_prepend_file. If it is
set, check that the file exists.

/*
Woman's advice has little value, but he who won't take it is a fool.
                -- Cervantes
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,
I downloaded a class from php classes called "clssendmail", the class was
working on a different server
but now I get this error when I try to use it:
"Call to undefined function: imap_8bit() in............."

The class is basically to send an email in 2 parts, plain text and HTML...if
the person has html off or cannot view html email then the plain text one
will display else the HTML part will display.

After googleing I see that sometimes PHP is not compiled with Imap_8bit
which causes this problem...:-(

This is the troublesome part:

///////
 function addHtmlBodyPart($html) {
  $this->bodyParts["text/html"]="<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC \"-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.0 Transitional//EN\">\n<html><head><meta http-equiv=Content-Type
content=\"text/html; charset=iso-8859-1\"><META content=\"MSHTML
6.00.2800.1276\"
}
/////

Any work around to this problem or any idea of another class that does what
this is supposed to do and will work
on all servers? I also downloaded manuel lemos collection of mime classes
but thats toooo damn powerful for my
little task..couldnt understand half of what was in there.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers.
-Ryan

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hello,

On 02/21/2004 01:39 AM, Ryan A wrote:
I downloaded a class from php classes called "clssendmail", the class was
working on a different server
but now I get this error when I try to use it:
"Call to undefined function: imap_8bit() in............."

The class is basically to send an email in 2 parts, plain text and HTML...if
the person has html off or cannot view html email then the plain text one
will display else the HTML part will display.

After googleing I see that sometimes PHP is not compiled with Imap_8bit
which causes this problem...:-(

Yes, IMAP extension is optional but fortunately it is not necessary for what you want.

Just try this other class that comes with an example to do exactly what you want. Check the HTML message example as it explains how to compose and send a message with an HTML part and an alternative text part. It may also embed any images or attachment files if you want:

http://www.phpclasses.org/mimemessage

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/

http://www.phpclasses.org/reviews/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
PHP listers,
        I recently got some help here to fix a str_replace() command.
The string works, and the output from the browser looks right. However,
I would like to further tweak the code so that the HTML source is also a
little cleaner than it is now.
        The code in question is this:
$charInfoCss = "<p class=\"content\">" . str_replace("\n", "</p>\n<p
class=\"content\">", $charInfo[introE]) . "</p>";
echo $charInfoCss . "\n";

        The way this outputs to the HTML source is like this:

        Shouldn't the syntax that I have place the new line *after* the

Any advice would be most welcome.

--
Yoroshiku!
Dave G

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Saturday 21 February 2004 14:39, Dave G wrote:

> Any advice would be most welcome.

Well, you asked for it. The usage of str_replace() is not exactly rocket
science, since the output is not what you expected just juggle your search &
replacement strings until it does what you want.

/*
At the end of your life there'll be a good rest, and no further activities
are scheduled.
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Justin Patrin wrote:

I think you're confusing the issue. PEAR DB does support many databases, but it only loads the code for the ones that you are currently using. So if you're using one database it is effectively a one database API.

Jakes wrote:

What is performance like using this class? I've gone through the class and
it just seams to be over kill, for a DB API (13 databases).

Are there any time stats showing the different time in using a single DB API
class to the PEAR class.

Yes things are really not that bad. However expect to give up somewhere a fairly significant amount of performance. If you are using an abstraction layer you have to do it with a good reason (you need to support multiple databases mainly :-) ).

Here is a benchmark John Lim came up with:
http://phplens.com/lens/adodb/

It only tests MySQL though and it implements a very unrealistic scenario. The reason that ADODB scores so high can be read here:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=pear-dev&m=100793507904834&w=2

regards,
Lukas Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
_______________________________
  BackendMedia
  www.backendmedia.com
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Linn Zwoch Smith GbR
  Pariser Str. 44
  D-10707 Berlin

  Tel +49 30 83 22 50 00
  Fax +49 30 83 22 50 07

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Saturday 21 February 2004 01:41, Ryan A wrote:

> If you are sending out html mails you can learn a lesson from the low life
> bastard spammers, but in
> your case for a good cause (i hope),
> Write a script so that each email has a unique identifier as spedified in
> the database and from the email
> your script is called...(eg: via a img (src) tag )...after maybe 5 days of
> the person not viewing your email
> take them out of the db...this can be run via a cron.

This will only work if the mail client does not have an option to turn off
external downloads/links when viewing html mail. So the above method will
unsubscribe all your smart users leaving behind the dumb ones!

/*
Do you think that illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello!

Is there any way to delete (unset) a function?

I want to write some function with one constantyl defined name, then call a
function_manager function, that will gice this function an unique name, than
delete the original function, so I can start the process from the beginning.

I will call this function through a wrapper, which will find the function I
need.

Thanks
Dimi.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi, I've got a session problem that I don't understand.

Here's the setup.  There are 2 frames, frame1 and frame2 (within frame1).

Frame1 is simply a static html page like the following:

<frameset rows="0,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
  <frame src="http://mysite.ca/blank.html"; name="topFrame" scrolling="NO"
noresize >
  <frame src="http://mysite.ca/getPage.php?siteid=33&page=homepage";
name="mainFrame">
</frameset>

Frame 2 is the php file, namely getPage.php.  In this php file, it starts
the session and does some initialization to set the session variables.  The
php code is executed before any HTML code is outputted.  So the session
variables have been all set.  It looks something like this:

<frameset rows="0,*" frameborder="NO" border="0" framespacing="0">
  <frame src="blank.html" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize >
  <frame src="<?=$mypage;?>?mode=view" name="mainFrame">
</frameset>

so $mypage is actually a dynamic string to another PHP page.

The problem is, this $mypage that frame2 opens depends on the session
variables that I've set at the beginning of frame2.  And I realized that the
session id of $mypage is not the same as that of frame2.  So the variables
will not load.  So if i call up frame1 on the browser, $mypage will not get
the session variables of frame2.

The funny thing is that if i simply load up the url
http://mysite.ca/getPage.php?siteid=33&page=homepage, i.e. the URL of
frame2, $mypage actually DOES get those variables and have the same session
id.

Although I've solved the problem using a hacked method (passing the session
id to $mypage using GET), I'm wondering if there's anything wrong with the
setup that causes the diverse outcomes.

Thanks for any kind of response.

Chris

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi, I'm building a very simple online store and I need expiring download pages for people to download the items they purchased. Surprisingly, I couldn't find an example of this code online.

I know how to do it in Lasso, and it's quite easy. You just search the database against download attempts or expiration time/date, and if it succeeds, return this (it's Lasso code but you get the idea):

[Output_None]
[Var: 'file' = (Include_Raw: 'pathname/sourcefile.zip')]
[Var: 'filename' = 'product.pdf']
[Var: 'content_type' = 'application/pdf']
[Header]
  HTTP/1.0 200 OK
  Server: Lasso/6.0
[/Header]
[/Output_None][$file]

Can anyone suggest the PHP code for this?
--- End Message ---