I'm not sure about including them in the mail function as such, but it can
certainly be done using one of several mime_mail classes that are around.
I don't have one handy right now but you can find them by searching the
php archives
and/or the annotated php manual. I know the one by Schumann and
Ratschiller works OK.

Mick