 Pear General mailing List

 Dear All,
 Some time ago, our site (Dotgeek.org) started a PHP certification
(full details at  http://www.dotgeek.org/about.php?type=certify ).

The programme has, in my humble opinion, some good points. A free certification managed with some open standards, with an open and
public certification board could bring some benefit to freelancers and PHP Developers.

The Problem
The first issue is the impressions we left to some people. Because the certification requires a number of tutorials or code samples to be posted on our site, someone had the wrong impression that this was a way to fill the site with content with little effort.

The opposite is true, the public method was meant to provide some community based feedback. The site does not host banners nor propose any sort of subscription, so there is really no financial gain from this initiative.

The second problem is the tutorials quality. Many of the posting would probably not qualify for a number of issues.

We need your comments
After a discussion with the other board members (Chris Shiflett and John Coggeshall) there are a number of possible modifications to the current programme:

 Solution A
 Make the programme more specific

Under this proposal the programme will grant certifications on a speciality:
PHP Security (global variables, file uploads, permission, etc.)
PHP Object Oriented Programming (creating an object, declaring a class, class usage ...)
PHP and Databases (using PHP to access a database, relational databases, practical applications)

 Each specialty with require:
 -Theory: Submission of a 3000 /3500 words paper on the topic
 -Practice: Submission of code samples in that speciality

Both the submission and the code samples will NOT be published in the dotgeek website unless the author specifically requests it.

The certification will be offered once again free.

Solution B
Is there a need of such a certification? If you feel that a PHP certification organized in this fashion is not necessary, let us know.

Let us know what you think in the public poll& discussion at http://www.dotgeek.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3

If you do have a solution C let us know. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Regards
David Costa