php-general Digest 8 Mar 2004 15:03:41 -0000 Issue 2634

Topics (messages 179718 through 179749):

Re: Do not want Undefined variable message
        179718 by: Michal Migurski

Re: Job listings
        179719 by: Anders Hellström

Re: Programming
        179720 by: Phil Dowson
        179722 by: Cosmin
        179742 by: Jay Blanchard

Help with PPP Strategies
        179721 by: Pooya Eslami
        179724 by: Burhan Khalid

Mail Function
        179723 by: Will
        179745 by: Will

MYSQL & Image functions
        179725 by: res0b8b6
        179730 by: Jason Wong

Re: undefined index -------- please help !!!!!!!!
        179726 by: Dominique ANOKRE

calling stored procedures & ORACLE 9i
        179727 by: jon

PHP not browser independent?
        179728 by: Merlin
        179729 by: Richard Davey
        179731 by: Mirek Novak
        179732 by: Richard Davey

fsockopen() errors.
        179733 by: Phil Ewington - 43 Plc
        179736 by: "Miguel J. Jiménez"
        179738 by: Phil Ewington - 43 Plc

Mail Headers
        179734 by: Jarratt Ingram
        179737 by: "Miguel J. Jiménez"

Re: __autoload() and Exceptions
        179735 by: David Danier

RSA or other private/public key signature  functions?
        179739 by: Richard ÄŒepas

Re: {OT}UK Bank Holidays 2
        179740 by: Jay Blanchard

Re: Let's start a php-advanced list!
        179741 by: Jay Blanchard

Compiling PHP classes/libraries to objects
        179743 by: Tariq Murtaza

absolute path
        179744 by: Mike Mapsnac
        179747 by: Richard Davey
        179748 by: Ford, Mike               [LSS]

Re: writing meta information into png
        179746 by: Marek Kilimajer

PHP support C++?
        179749 by: Kenneth

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--- Begin Message ---
>But when i run the testinclude program I always get "Undefined variable
>errro on very first line. I know it is because vars are not defined yet,
>but i remember last time those warnings never used to come. What setting
>is needed in php.ini file ?

Check the manual for "error reporting."

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
At 18.42 -0800 2004-03-07, Chris Shiflett wrote:
>--- Larry Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I don't see how it could be to anyone's disadvantage.  As a matter of
>> fact, I think that it would be great to also have it available as a soap
>> service as well.
>
>I was thinking the same thing after reading Ben's comment. I think people
>might be more interested in local job boards, but a global resource could
>provide an organized outlet for this by sharing this data via feeds.
>
>So, people can post job openings on this board, and local user groups can
>syndicate this data based on local preferences, or they can even let their
>users sign in and have even more personalized listings (bypassing the
>necessity of searching). Along the same lines, local user groups can help
>syndicate data back to the core PHP job resource as well.

Personally I think a single global resource is the best. Since you would be able to
search/browse specific locations, local job listings don't have much of an advantage,
except perhaps that what companies put in their ads varies from country to country,
and that's generally not a big issue. And people willing to relocate will probably
appreciate having to look only in one place.

That the job listings should be made available for syndication in some form or another
always felt so obvious to me I may have failed to mention it. Of course both
PHPCommunity.org and the local user groups would benefit from having the job listings
displayed on the web sites of the local user groups, so I'm all for that.

And users on PHPCommunity.org should be able to save default filters/searches for
easier browsing, as well as have notification of new ads (that match their saved
settings) sent to them by E-mail.

--
Anders Hellström
PHPCommunity.org: Open Source, Open Community

Dumburken.net: Reklamfria TV-tablåer

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Hi,

I have been working with PHP for a few years now, and I feel very comfortable with it. I am considering branching out into windows application development, and I was wondering what language people would recommend for someone comfortable with PHP.

I have heard that PHP can be used in this capacity, would PHP work for me to create applications with a GUI?

I am sorry if this really is an off topic post!

Thanks

Phil Dowson
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---

  Take a look at php-gtk: http://gtk.php.net/

--
Cosmin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
[snip]
I have been working with PHP for a few years now, and I feel very
comfortable with it. I am considering branching out into windows
application development, and I was wondering what language people would
recommend for someone comfortable with PHP.

I have heard that PHP can be used in this capacity, would PHP work for
me to create applications with a GUI?
[/snip]

To look at PHP see http://gtk.php.net/, otherwise consider starting down
the path to C++ enlightenment.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,
I want to write a php script for handling the username and password of users
on my website. What strategies are used for password protected pages? I
don't quite know where to start!
One strategy that I had in mind was to have a folder for each user and
access it via the user name and password but then I though if the user has
the name of the folder they don't need the password! they can just type it
up and open it!
I guess my question can also be what strategies are most commonly used for
ppp?

Best regards,
-Pooya

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Pooya Eslami wrote:
Hi,
I want to write a php script for handling the username and password of users
on my website. What strategies are used for password protected pages? I
don't quite know where to start!
One strategy that I had in mind was to have a folder for each user and
access it via the user name and password but then I though if the user has
the name of the folder they don't need the password! they can just type it
up and open it!
I guess my question can also be what strategies are most commonly used for
ppp?

http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/authentication.php
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hello All,
I have a question.  I installed PHP on a windows XP machine.
When I try to send a form it says:
"Warning: mail(): sendmail_from not set in php.ini or custom "From: header.

My header are as follows:
<?
require ("admin/inc/setup.php");

$subject = "FeedBack From Site";

$msg = "Senders Name:       $_POST[name]\n";
$msg .= "Senders Email:     $_POST[email]\n";
$msg .= "Message:           \r$_POST[message]\n";
$mailheader .= "From:       $_POST[email]\n";
$mailheader .= "A message has been sent from Domain";

mail($recipient, $subject, $msg, $mailheader);

require ("tmpl/send_form.htm");
?>

The recipient is in the setup.php file, just to let you know.

My sendmail_from is as follows:
sendmail_from = [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please help :)

~WILL~
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Please help me with this. Can someone give me an example of their php.ini on the settings of the mail function.

~WILL~

Will wrote:
[...]

I am trying to use any of the image functions with image data from a
mysql database. I can get these functions to work from files on the
server but for some reason, not out of the database. If any one has
gotten this to work, code you shoot me over some sample code, or
functions on what to do.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Monday 08 March 2004 15:53, res0b8b6 wrote:
> I am trying to use any of the image functions with image data from a
> mysql database. I can get these functions to work from files on the
> server but for some reason, not out of the database.

  imagecreatefromstring() ?

/*
We have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it's out.
*/

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
OK, but when i use "isset" my request is not executed normally.
I wonder if the fact i use the frames is the problem because with no
changement and without using "isset"
my request run correctly.

Thanks !