We use PHP 4.3.4 (cli) to query a Microsoft SQL database
server with no problem.  We are now going to attempt the same sort of
thing, only with a Pinnacle server running an Oracle8I data base.

        The php installation is on a FreeBSD UNIX platform and the
Pinnacle server is on a Windows platform.

        Being very new to all this, my question is simply whether or
not this should work?  I am concerned that php comes with an Oracle7
client, but the data base I need to query and write back to is
Oracle8I which might, someday, upgrade to a higher version.

        If I am using the PHP CLI to extract data from the server
with, of course, correct syntax, does the Oracle version even matter?

        What we are going to do is extract information from work
orders and then build scripts, using this information to control a
telephone switch as well as create logs, etc.

        The php engine is simply going to let us pull and push data
back and forth between this UNIX system and the Pinnacle server.

        If this can't work, then I am wasting my/our time.  If it
should work, then I'll set it up and make it work.

        We will most likely be running a php script which starts out like:

#!/usr/local/bin/php -q
<?
//Set env variables
putenv("SYBASE=/usr/local/etc/freetds");
putenv("TDSVER=70");

//Login to SQL
$numero= mssql_connect("sqlserver" , "UID" , "password" );

//Process each record
$result=mssql_query("SELECT * FROM NatRegLog WHERE process='no'",$numero );

//Logout of SQL
mssql_close($numero);

?>

        The script that will handle the Oracle DB will be similar to
this example, only running the appropriate Oracle SQL commands.

        Many thanks.  If this is in the archives, I could have missed
it.  The php web manual's Oracle section says,

>Introduction
>
>   This extension adds support for Oracle database server access. See
>   also the OCI8 extension.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Information Technology Division Network Operations Group