For an Oracle 8i database you want the OCI extension, not the Oracle
extension.  OCI should be the extension of choice for Oracle version 7 and
later.

>       If I am using the PHP CLI to extract data from the
> server with, of course, correct syntax, does the Oracle
> version even matter?

No, not as long as it's supported by the extension you use.  OCI should be
fine for Oracle 8i and subsequent versions -- there have certainly been
users of 9i posting to this or the PHP-DB list.

Cheers!

Mike

Learning Support Services, Learning & Information Services, JG125, James
Graham Building, Leeds Metropolitan University, Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6
3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]