Check out the tutorials found at :

    http://www.devshed.com/    (very basic php tutorials exist here)
    http://www.zend.com/       (quality tutorials and articles)
    http://www.phpbuilder.com/ (intermediate)
    http://php.faqts.com/      (useful words)
    http://www.php.net/manual/ (includes examples and useful
                                user comments)
    http://www.google.com/     (prepend term 'php' and watch magic)

That should be a good start :-)  The mailing list archive link is very
valuable, or at least will be for you soon as within is an answer to
about any and all php questions.  Also check out :

    http://www.php.net/links.php

If you use windows and just want to get going, install a package :

    http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Installation_Kits/

Some useful linux install instructions found here for apache/php/mysql...:

    http://www.e-gineer.com/instructions/

And lastly, don't fear the manual.  It may seem scary right now but soon
you'll find just how useful and wonderful it is.  Don't worry about
understanding it all but getting the words boucning around your head is a
good thing.  It's also good to know how to use a function first :)

The best way to learn is start reading and coding.  Code any and
everything your heart desires and be sure to add interesting features to
your code.  Also read and print out this :

    http://www.zend.com/zend/tut/using-strings.php

Good luck!

Regards,

Philip Olson