On Sunday 21 March 2004 06:39 pm, Chris Shiflett wrote:
> --- Michael Rasmussen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > To be clear: make sure the data that the user submitted only
> > > contains the characters you think are valid (don't bother trying
> > > to guess malicious characters - you're sure to miss one) and is a
> > > valid length. Once you've done this, and your design helps you to
> > > make sure that this step can't be bypassed by the user, you're
> > > protected against SQL injection.
> >
> > Or even better: Use only prepared statements.
>
> Can you explain that (and defend it)?

Maybe he's talking about stored procedures?

"Banks, for instance, use stored procedures for all common operations. This
provides a consistent and secure environment, and procedures can ensure that
each operation is properly logged. In such a setup, applications and users
would not get any access to the database tables directly, but may only
execute specific stored procedures."
- http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Stored_Procedures.html

--
Evan Nemerson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
"To achieve adjustment and sanity and the conditions that follow from them, we
must study the structural characteristics of this world first and, then only,

-Alfred Korzybski