First, cheers to Mike Ward for the quick response to my maiden post this
morning (about floating point vars).

Next prob: I'm trying to recompile PHP 4.3.4 (on Redhat 7.3) with
ImageMagick support. I've installed ImageMagick 5.5.7 and the PECL imagick
package (0.9.8). I'm running Apache 1.3.29 with PHP compiled as a module.

These are the steps I've been following:

1. cd to the Apache dir
make clean
./configure

2. cd to the PHP dir
make clean
./configure --with-sablot --with-mysql=/usr/local/mysql --with-gd --enable-t
rack-vars --with-xml --with-dom --with-zlib --with-jpeg-dir --with-png-dir -
-with-apache=../apache_1.3.29 --enable-ftp --with-imap --with-curl --with-xs
lt --with-ssl --enable-wddx --with-imagick=/usr/local/src/php-4.3.4/ext/imag
ick (same configure line as original install but with adding the last bit
for imagick)
make
make install

3. cd to the Apache dir
rm src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
./configure --activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.a
make
make install

4. Restart Apache

All appears to run OK, but the PHP installation I end up with seems to be
exactly the same as what I started out with - phpinfo() shows my original
build date and configure line from months ago, and the imagick_* functions
aren't available.

I ran across the file config.cache in my PHP directory and tried removing
it - no difference.

I changed the path to imagick in the configure line to a non-existent path,
and added a nonsensical option, --with-XXXX ; no complaints, which I suppose
indicates that there's some more deep-seated problem which has nowt to do
with the ImageMagick-specific stuff.

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty obvious, but just can't put my finger
on what it is - anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,
Paul