I have noticed behavior like yours with our server setup.  It is not a locally
run (or owned) server so I cannot poke around to much.

The session is timing out Randomly, causing our users to have to login again.
It doesn't happen all the time either.  In a rare case, less than a minute
after login, I'll be forced to login again.

Just to be sure I've set the following HUGE timeouts:
session_set_cookie_params( 21600 );
session_cache_expire( 21600 );

This is ridicules I know, but I left it just for kicks.

I don't know the load averages of the server and I'm very curious to find out
if this is part of the issue.

The server has PHP Version 4.2.3 installed on Linux w/ Apache.
I'm not sure what version of Apache is installed.

One last tidbit. I run the same site ( a mirror) locally while developing, and
It never times out.

Disclaimer: I'm not an expert (yet) so my problem could be caused by some
completely unrelated setting.  If someone knows of this mystery setting,
please let me know.