One possibility, if you're able to change the format of the config_inc file
without causing too much havoc, would be to write it something like this:

$CONFIG = array(
  'db_name' => 'something',
  'db_user' => 'root',
  'db_pass' => 'blah',
  'x_installed_path => '/home/blah/',
);

Then you have your array all neatly set up for you.  (And you can always
extract($CONFIG) whilst you convert all your other usages to $CONFIG[]...!!)

I do like John Holmes's solution, though!

As far as the arrays-within-the-array goes, this sounds like a perfect setup
for a recursive procedure.  If you write it to emit, say, an unordered list,
then each recursive call will produce a nested list and, hey presto!, you've
got nicely structured output too.

Cheers!

Mike

Learning Support Services, Learning & Information Services, JG125, James
Graham Building, Leeds Metropolitan University, Beckett Park, LEEDS,  LS6
3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]