Ahh, that's the cause.  Here's how to duplicate the error :-)

  error_reporting(E_NOTICE);
  foo();

  function foo()
  {
      echo $HTTP_USER_AGENT;
  }

As Mark mentioned, mind your scope.  Regarding the error, I just posted
some information on this perhaps it'll be of some use :

  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=php-general&m=98571030029538&w=2

Regards,

Philip