Hello,

On 03/30/2004 07:55 PM, William Lovaton wrote:
Well, I'am aware of that but the application is already made and it is
big and development continue, so change it will be a huge task and we
have no resources available for it.

Tux used to perform very well here, but unfortunatelly there is no other
user space competitor that offers the same features. :-(

Actually there is Apache 2. The problem is that some PHP extensions are not re-entrant and they do not run properly in multi-threading environments. It depends on which extensions you use.

I was thinking that may be I could configure the server to use Apache 2
(w/o PHP) with multi-thread just to serve static content and use

I am not sure if you can do that. You may want to ask an Apache person like for instance Rasmus Lerdorf himself.

reverseproxy to pass dynamic requests to Apache 1.3/PHP

I do not think the reverse proxy is a good idea. It is not meant to solve your problem. It is meant to reduce the number of accesses to dynamically generated pages by caching them temporarily but you need to change your scripts to make them issue the necessary headers or else using a reverse proxy will just be a big slowdown.

This might work... I gues that any web server to make advantage of the
new kernel 2.6 has to make explicit use of the sendfile() system call. I know for sure that boa does it. I don't know about thttpd or apache2.

Honestly I think your are crazy to start using such early versions of Linux 2.6. It is very likely that it is still buggy and prone to security holes that were not yet found and fixed. In general it is a very bad idea to be an early adopter of the first releases of a new software version. If I were you I would be patient and would probably give it a year before start using Linux 2.6 in critical production environments.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos

http://www.phpclasses.org/