Thanks the feedback so far. To expand the scope of my issue past enums
(which by their limited nature are easy to check and set defaults) let me
ask this...

There is a column called Address in my email table, Thus I am creating a PHP
object called Email to interact with it. The Address variable of this object
will hold a string like "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

In the setAddress method should I check for a valid email address and throw
a warning then? And if so how?

Or should I simply create a method isValidAddress and do the verification in
my own interface code?

~ Mike
-----
Mike Zornek
Web Designer, Media Developer, Programmer and Geek
Personal site: <http://MikeZornek.com>
New Project: <http://WebDevWiki.com>