Steve, I agree with you there.  For tech savy people not having the
progress bar or indicator for file uploads isn't a big deal.  For the
average "dumb user" however it's a necessity.  I have users tell me all
the time that my PHP pages don't work only to find out that they put in
a query parameter that caused a huge database pull and they didn't know
that as long as that little flag in IE is still waving, it's still
working...