>Whats the difference between $_SESSION[foo] and $_SESSION['foo'] I have
>been using the 's but they seem to be unecessary?

Use the single-quotes -- array references often work without them, but the
potential for conflict with constants and future PHP incompatibility is a
possibility. If you (or PHP) had a constant foo defined, it would behave
unexpectedly.

>I run into trouble if I try something like:
>$query = " select * from table where (test.id = '$_SESSION['foo']') ";
>but the following works:
>$query = " select * from table where (test.id = '$_SESSION[foo]') ";

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.types.string.php#language.types.string.parsing

        // Works but note that this works differently outside string-quotes
        echo "A banana is $fruits[banana].";

        // Works
        echo "A banana is {$fruits['banana']}.";

        // Works but PHP looks for a constant named banana first
        // as described below.
        echo "A banana is {$fruits[banana]}.";

        // Won't work, use braces. This results in a parse error.
        echo "A banana is $fruits['banana'].";