php-general Digest 17 Apr 2004 23:21:37 -0000 Issue 2711

Topics (messages 183712 through 183745):

Re: php and mysql help
        183712 by: David Robley

Re: http header
        183713 by: Daniel Clark
        183714 by: Torsten Roehr

Print out all the files in a directory
        183715 by: Pooya Eslami
        183716 by: Matt Matijevich
        183717 by: Pooya Eslami
        183718 by: Matt Matijevich
        183719 by: Pooya Eslami
        183720 by: Robert Cummings
        183721 by: Pooya Eslami
        183744 by: Rainer Müller

why doesn't this work ?
        183722 by: Pooya Eslami
        183724 by: John W. Holmes
        183725 by: Pooya Eslami
        183730 by: Daniel Clark
        183731 by: Daniel Clark
        183733 by: Pooya Eslami
        183735 by: John W. Holmes
        183737 by: Pooya Eslami
        183742 by: John W. Holmes

Array Problem
        183723 by: Flavio Fontana
        183726 by: Richard Harb
        183727 by: Arthur Radulescu
        183732 by: Daniel Clark
        183734 by: Richard Harb

Re: Formatting phone numbers?
        183728 by: Andy Crain

php accelerator for php5rc1 ?
        183729 by: David Herring
        183739 by: Thomas Seifert

Rporting tool - CVS?
        183736 by: Kim Steinhaug
        183740 by: Aaron Wolski
        183741 by: Jordi Canals
        183745 by: Daniel Clark

Re: [AWF-TOPIC] Reporting tool - CVS?
        183738 by: Robert Cummings

Form data not available at first. Why?
        183743 by: Dave Pidgeon

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jay, you are confusing persons at a university with persons who may have a
Clue [TM]

David (also recipient of this message)

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Yes, that works.

>>Is the following code the best way to redirect someone to a different
>>page using PHP?
>>
>><?php
>>header("Location: http://www.yahoo.com";);
>>?>
>>
>>I looked for a "redirect" function of some kind and didn't come up with
>>anything.  Just curious what the consensus is...

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
"Gabe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Is the following code the best way to redirect someone to a different
> page using PHP?
>
> <?php
> header("Location: http://www.yahoo.com";);
> ?>

>From personal experience I can recommend putting "exit;" behind a header()
redirect to absolutely make sure that no code is executed afterwards in the
script:

header("Location: http://www.yahoo.com";); exit;

Without "exit;" the header redirect soemtimes didn't work for me.

Regards,

Torsten Roehr

> I looked for a "redirect" function of some kind and didn't come up with
> anything.  Just curious what the consensus is...
>
> Thanks

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi,
I want to write a simple script that looks for all the files with a common
name and show them, like all the .mp3 files or all the .doc files. How do I
go about it?

Thank you,
-Pooya

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
http://www.php.net/readdir

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
But how do I get all the .mp3 files? can I use *.mp3? and how ?

"Matt Matijevich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.php.net/readdir

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
on that page ther is examples

<?php
if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
   while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
       if ($file != "." && $file != "..") { //add your logic to see if
it is an .mp3 file right here, that can be done any number of ways
           echo "$file\n";
   closedir($handle);
}
?>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That is exactly my question! how do I look for a .mp3 file?!
I tried
  if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && $file=="*.mp3")
but it doesn't work!

"Matt Matijevich" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> on that page ther is examples
>
> <?php
> if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
>    while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
>        if ($file != "." && $file != "..") { //add your logic to see if
> it is an .mp3 file right here, that can be done any number of ways
>            echo "$file\n";
>        }
>    }
>    closedir($handle);
> }
> ?>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 12:35, Pooya Eslami wrote:
> That is exactly my question! how do I look for a .mp3 file?!
> I tried
>   if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && $file=="*.mp3")
> but it doesn't work!

if( eregi( '\.mp3$', $file ) )

Cheers,
Rob.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Thank you Robert.

"Robert Cummings" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 12:35, Pooya Eslami wrote:
> > That is exactly my question! how do I look for a .mp3 file?!
> > I tried
> >   if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && $file=="*.mp3")
> > but it doesn't work!
>
> if( eregi( '\.mp3$', $file ) )
>
> Cheers,
> Rob.
> --
> .------------------------------------------------------------.
> | InterJinn Application Framework - http://www.interjinn.com |
> :------------------------------------------------------------:
> | An application and templating framework for PHP. Boasting  |
> | a powerful, scalable system for accessing system services  |
> | such as forms, properties, sessions, and caches. InterJinn |
> | also provides an extremely flexible architecture for       |
> | creating re-usable components quickly and easily.          |
> `------------------------------------------------------------'

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Pooya Eslami schrieb:
Hi,
I want to write a simple script that looks for all the files with a common
name and show them, like all the .mp3 files or all the .doc files. How do I
go about it?

Thank you,
-Pooya

Look in the manual at php.net, especially: http://php.net/opendir http://php.net/readdir http://php.net/closedir

Rainer
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
If I put the following script in a .php file it would work but if I put it
in an .html file doesn't work, why? script tag is only used in .html file.

<script language = "php">
echo "<ul>";
if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
   while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
       if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && eregi('\.html$', $file)) {

   closedir($handle);
}

echo "</ul>";
</script>

-Pooya

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Pooya Eslami wrote:
If I put the following script in a .php file it would work but if I put it
in an .html file doesn't work, why? script tag is only used in .html file.

You web server determines whether or not to look for PHP in a file based upon its extension. You must set up your web server to look for PHP code in .html files.

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
How do I do that? I don't have a webserver, it is hosted by a hosting
company.

"John W. Holmes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Pooya Eslami wrote:
> > If I put the following script in a .php file it would work but if I put
it
> > in an .html file doesn't work, why? script tag is only used in .html
file.

> You web server determines whether or not to look for PHP in a file based
> upon its extension. You must set up your web server to look for PHP code
> in .html files.
>
> --
> ---John Holmes...
>
> Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/
>
> php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The browser doesn't know what to do with PHP code.

>>If I put the following script in a .php file it would work but if I put it
>>in an .html file doesn't work, why? script tag is only used in .html file.
>>
>><script language = "php">
>>echo "<ul>";
>>if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
>>   while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
>>       if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && eregi('\.html$', $file)) {

>>       }
>>   }
>>   closedir($handle);
>>}
>>
>>echo "</ul>";
>></script>

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I should have also said:

Because it's missing the <?php and ?> tags, the web server isn't going to run the
code, but pass it back to the client browser.

>>If I put the following script in a .php file it would work but if I put it
>>in an .html file doesn't work, why? script tag is only used in .html file.
>>
>><script language = "php">
>>echo "<ul>";
>>if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
>>   while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
>>       if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && eregi('\.html$', $file)) {

>>       }
>>   }
>>   closedir($handle);
>>}

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I took out the scrip tags and put in <?php in the beginning and ?>  at the
end, but it returns this:

$file
"; } } closedir($handle); } echo "
"; ?>

Any ideas how to fix this?

"Daniel Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I should have also said:
>
> Because it's missing the <?php and ?> tags, the web server isn't going to
run the code, but pass it back to the client browser.

> >>If I put the following script in a .php file it would work but if I put
it
> >>in an .html file doesn't work, why? script tag is only used in .html
file.

> >><script language = "php">
> >>echo "<ul>";
> >>if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
> >>   while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
> >>       if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && eregi('\.html$', $file)) {

> >>       }
> >>   }
> >>   closedir($handle);
> >>}

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Daniel Clark wrote:

I should have also said:

Because it's missing the <?php and ?> tags, the
> web server isn't going to run the code, but pass
> it back to the client browser.

You are right, but not for the reason you think. <script language="php"> is a valid way of starting PHP mode.

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php

Because the file extension is .html, though, the PHP engine will not parse any of the PHP in the file, though.

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
I took out the scrip tags and put in <?php in the beginning and ?>  at the
end, but it returns this:

$file
"; } } closedir($handle); } echo "
"; ?>

Any ideas how to fix this?

"John W. Holmes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Daniel Clark wrote:
>
> > I should have also said:
> >
> > Because it's missing the <?php and ?> tags, the
>  > web server isn't going to run the code, but pass
>  > it back to the client browser.
>
> You are right, but not for the reason you think. <script language="php">
> is a valid way of starting PHP mode.
>
> http://us2.php.net/manual/en/language.basic-syntax.php
>
> Because the file extension is .html, though, the PHP engine will not
> parse any of the PHP in the file, though.
>
> --
> ---John Holmes...
>
> Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/
>
> php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Pooya Eslami wrote:

I took out the scrip tags and put in <?php in the beginning and ?>  at the
end, but it returns this:

$file
"; } } closedir($handle); } echo "
"; ?>

Any ideas how to fix this?

Use a .php extension on your file. Or you can ask your hosting company to have .html files processed as PHP, but they won't.

--
---John Holmes...

Amazon Wishlist: www.amazon.com/o/registry/3BEXC84AB3A5E/

php|architect: The Magazine for PHP Professionals – www.phparch.com
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Hi

I have i Problem i got a variable a=2351 now i need to create an array out of this
variable
a[0]=1
a[1]=3
a[2]=5
a[3]=1

I have an idea to use the modulo function an do some Math but im sure there is a nicer
way of solving my prob

thx Flavio

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
That's how you could do it ...

$ar = array();

$len = strlen($a);
for ($i = 0; $i < $len; ++$i) {
    $ar[] = $a{$i};
}

HTH

Richard

> Hi

> I have i Problem i got a variable a=2351 now i need to create an array out of this
> variable
> a[0]=1
> a[1]=3
> a[2]=5
> a[3]=1

> I have an idea to use the modulo function an do some Math but im
> sure there is a nicer way of solving my prob

> thx Flavio

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
> That's how you could do it ...
>
> $ar = array();
>
> $len = strlen($a);
> for ($i = 0; $i < $len; ++$i) {
>     $ar[] = $a{$i};
> }

If I remember well strlen is used for checking the length of a string...

Arthur

Looking for a job!? Use the smart search engine!!
Find a Job from Millions WorldWide...
http://search.jobsgrabber.com

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
How about count()

>>That's how you could do it ...
>>
>>$ar = array();
>>
>>$len = strlen($a);
>>for ($i = 0; $i < $len; ++$i) {
>>    $ar[] = $a{$i};
>>}
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>Richard

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Saturday, April 17, 2004, 7:38:46 PM, Arthur Radulescu wrote:

>> That's how you could do it ...
>>
>> $ar = array();
>>
>> $len = strlen($a);
>> for ($i = 0; $i < $len; ++$i) {
>>     $ar[] = $a{$i};
>> }

> If I remember well strlen is used for checking the length of a string...

It does ...
I didn't look closely enough :(
So .. the var has to be converted to str first ... or use a temp var
converted to string ...

except of course someone comes up with a better method of solving the
problem at hand.

----

just for reference: the original problem (as I now understand it) was
how to 'convert' a number into an array ...

Friday, April 16, 2004, 11:00:49 PM, Flavio Fontana wrote:

> Hi

> I have i Problem i got a variable a=2351 now i need to create an array out of this
> variable
> a[0]=1
> a[1]=3
> a[2]=5
> a[3]=1

> I have an idea to use the modulo function an do some Math but im
> sure there is a nicer way of solving my prob

> thx Flavio

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Jay,

> Here is a little more of the larger function with comments (more
> comments than code, which is never a Bad Thing [tm]). I am only showing
> the handling for two basic types of telephone numbers with explanation
> for additional verification which we would typically use, since we have
> those resources available.

Great. Thanks very much.
Andy

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
The latest Zend optimiser - 3.60 does not support php 5 - is there any alternative accelerators which do ?

thx dave

--

David Herring
---

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 19:01:21 +0100 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Herring) wrote:

> The latest Zend optimiser - 3.60 does not support php 5 - is there any
> alternative accelerators which do ?

uhm, afaik the "optimiser" is not an accelerator, more kind of a loader for
encrypted files.
You would have to use the zend-accelerator, phpa, turck-mmcache, apc or similar
products.

thomas

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Scenario :
    Im working on several large projects, all which have several users.
    Each user has a personal innstallation.

Each of my projects are in constant development, and often the updates
from version to version are only in a few files.

Is there a tool out there who can compare two folders, and generate
a report on what files are new, removed and updated?

Usually I just upload all the project files all over, since all settings are
in the database or settings file. But when projects have over 500 files,
and you have 50 customers it would be nice to just upload the files
which are updated.

I have a feeling CVS would maby be the trick here, but im not sure.
Still I could manually do this, it isnt that hard, but you know - maby
there already is such a system out there and in that case it would fit
me perfectly.

Kim Steinhaug
There are 10 types of people when it comes to binary numbers:
those who understand them, and those who don't.
www.steinhaug.com - www.easywebshop.no - www.webkitpro.com

>     Im working on several large projects, all which have several
users.
>     Each user has a personal innstallation.
>
> Each of my projects are in constant development, and often the updates
> from version to version are only in a few files.
>
> Is there a tool out there who can compare two folders, and generate
> a report on what files are new, removed and updated?
>
> Usually I just upload all the project files all over, since all
settings
> are
> in the database or settings file. But when projects have over 500
files,
> and you have 50 customers it would be nice to just upload the files
> which are updated.
>
> I have a feeling CVS would maby be the trick here, but im not sure.
> Still I could manually do this, it isnt that hard, but you know - maby
> there already is such a system out there and in that case it would fit
> me perfectly.

> Kim Steinhaug

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Kim Steinhaug wrote:
[...]

Hi Kim, and all,

I think you are in the right felling about CVS. I use it in the way you're asking for with success. Because now I'm not on a team, I'm using CVS in local mode (without a CVS server).

I have a general repository, where I store all general libraries, and then a repository for each project. In each file, I include the CVS $Id$ tag, wich is changed by CVS for the file name and revision each time you commit to the repository.

When you are ready to upload a new revision to the web server, you can tag the version (Ex. Version-2-0) and export the repository by revision (only changed files are exported). If something fails in the server, or a bug appears, because you have all revision history, you can go back while fixing errors.

You can find CVS at http://cvshome.org
If you're working on Windows, take a look to CVSNT at http://cvsnt.org and to WinCVS at http://wincvs.org

Because this is OT in this list, feel free to contact me for any question.

Regards,
Jordi.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Beyond Compare is a pretty cool diff program. www.scootersoftware.com

They have a demo version.

>>Scenario :
>>    Im working on several large projects, all which have several users.
>>    Each user has a personal innstallation.
>>
>>Each of my projects are in constant development, and often the updates
>>from version to version are only in a few files.
>>
>>Is there a tool out there who can compare two folders, and generate
>>a report on what files are new, removed and updated?
>>
>>Usually I just upload all the project files all over, since all settings are
>>in the database or settings file. But when projects have over 500 files,
>>and you have 50 customers it would be nice to just upload the files
>>which are updated.
>>
>>I have a feeling CVS would maby be the trick here, but im not sure.
>>Still I could manually do this, it isnt that hard, but you know - maby
>>there already is such a system out there and in that case it would fit
>>me perfectly.
>>
>>--
>>--
>>Kim Steinhaug

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
On Sat, 2004-04-17 at 14:47, Kim Steinhaug wrote:
> Scenario :
>     Im working on several large projects, all which have several users.
>     Each user has a personal innstallation.
>
> Each of my projects are in constant development, and often the updates
> from version to version are only in a few files.
>
> Is there a tool out there who can compare two folders, and generate
> a report on what files are new, removed and updated?
>
> Usually I just upload all the project files all over, since all settings are
> in the database or settings file. But when projects have over 500 files,
> and you have 50 customers it would be nice to just upload the files
> which are updated.
>
> I have a feeling CVS would maby be the trick here, but im not sure.
> Still I could manually do this, it isnt that hard, but you know - maby
> there already is such a system out there and in that case it would fit
> me perfectly.

The diff command under Linux will serve you well to compare two
directories (optionally recursively).

However, you would be MUCH better off with something like CVS since in
many cases it will merge the changes for you. At the very least if it
cannot successfully merge the changes it will indicate where in the file
the conflict occurred and give you both versions of the code so you can
delete what you don't what and keep what you do.

HTH,
Rob.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
Since the server upgrade to PHP 4.3.4 I have a odd problem  with FORM data
capture.
When Page one and two are started in the  open http://  ,the  pair work
just  fine.
If they are started with ssl https:// then page two has no data until you
refresh and ok the resending of the data, At  which point all  the data is
in place.

I am New to this session work so I could really use some help.  Please and
Thank you.
Dave

// Page  one
<?PHP
 session_name("SESSE");
 session_start();

<FORM method="POST" action="..xxx.php?<?=SID?>">

// Page two
<?php
 session_name("SESSE");
 session_start();
 $pres= session_id();
 print $pres;
 session_id($pres);
echo "<br>";
foreach ($_POST as $key => $val){
echo "key: $key ... Value: $val<br>";

session
Session Support  enabled
Registered save handlers  files user

Directive Local Value Master Value
session.auto_start Off Off
session.bug_compat_42 On On
session.bug_compat_warn On On
session.cache_expire 180 180
session.cache_limiter nocache nocache
session.cookie_domain no value no value
session.cookie_lifetime 0 0
session.cookie_path / /
session.cookie_secure Off Off
session.entropy_file /dev/urandom /dev/urandom
session.entropy_length 16 16
session.gc_divisor 100 100
session.gc_maxlifetime 1440 1440
session.gc_probability 1 1