Okay, what you can do is try use an .htaccess file (providing your host allows them) to make the PHP engine parse .html files.

Create a file titled ".htaccess" with the following contents:
AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php3 .html .htm

Upload it to the same folder that the .html file is in, and see if it works.

(Oh, and if you are using WS_FTP LE, be sure to add '-al' in the white box on the right [Remote] vertical line of buttons so that you are able to view the .htaccess file in the folder once uploaded.)

Cheers,
Andy

Pooya Eslami wrote:
Yes, the server supports php, and I don't want to make it into a php file
because its a big html file and I just need this little script on it. Why
cannot I embed php in html files?

"Andy Ladouceur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's already been mentioned, but you do need to ensure you are using a
.php extension on the file. Also, forgive me if this has already been
covered, but are you sure the server even supports PHP?

Try creating a new file with:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

And save it as something.php, check and see if it returns a table full
of information or not.

Andy

Pooya Eslami wrote:

I put this in the body of an html file:

<?php
if ($handle = opendir('.')) {
  while (false !== ($file = readdir($handle))) {
      if ($file != "." && $file != ".." && eregi('\.html$', $file)) {

  closedir($handle);
}

echo "</ul>";
?>

the output page contains :

$file
"; } } closedir($handle); } echo "
"; ?>

I don't understand why.

"Daniel Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Can you post the code and error.

I took out the scrip tags and put in <?php in the beginning and ?> at

the

end, but it returns this:

$file
"; } } closedir($handle); } echo "