Hmm, this will certainly slow down PHP5 acceptance. I cannot imagine a hosting company that will upgrade to PHP5 and break so many client's applications.

Johannes Reichardt wrote:
Hi there,

i donīt know if this is the right place to ask but since there are a lot of cracks around i thought i throw this in here. actually i am using typo3 (www.typo3.org) a full-blown, extendable cm-framework that is based on php. so here is the problem:

typo3 very often uses a syntax like this:

is_array($TCA['pages']['columns']['title'])

but this will spawn an error in PHP5 that says, "$TCA['pages']" is not an array.

The solution would be
if (
    is_array($TCA['pages']) &&
    is_array($TCA['pages']['columns']) &&
    is_array($TCA['pages']['columns']['title']) )

actually that is really ugly code and would be hardly acceptable.

i dunno who to ask, but if that is a verified issue and this behaviour goes in the final php5 we had a lot of trouble - so who can i ask to make it work "the old fashioned" way as well?

- Johannes