I'm practicing from a beginning PHP book regarding
arrays and the PHP manual, so please no one flame me
that I didn't try to research before posting.  I'm
thinking that what I want to do requires me to use the
function array_walk or a foreach loop, but I'm not so
sure so maybe someone help here can help.

I want to have an array, perform an action on the
values in the array, and have those actions
permanently affect the values in the array.  Here's
something I've written to test it out how I thought it
could be done:

<?php
    $array = ('zero\0', 'one\1', 'two\2', 'three\3');
    // look at array before changes
    print_r($array);
    // maybe use foreach or array_walk next?
    foreach ($array as $value)
    {
         stripslashes($value);
    }
    // look at array after changes
    print_r($array);
?>

I'm guessing by now someone can see my error, but I
don't know enough programming to spot it.  What I
thought would happen is my values would have the
backslash removed in the second print_r().  What I
would want is for any changes made in the array
(meaning my "values") to be permanent in the array
afterwards.  If I can accomplish the code above, I
figure I can create my own functions to affect changes
on values or at least better understand what I'm
looking at in other people's examples/comments at the
online PHP manual.

Thank you in advance.

Katie