Run into this before, PHP seams to do quite well when you set the locale
right ( de_DE ) which will place AÄBCD.... instead of ABCD....ÄÖÜ.

Hope this helps :-)

-- red

Michal Migurski wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to effectively sort text with
multi byte characters? I am working on a project that uses lots of German
text, and the letters with umlauts don't sort correctly. I'm using the
mb_* functions in a few places (to adapt an ASCII-encoded database to XML
output for flash, which is always expected to be in UTF-8), but none of
them seems to be made for string comparison.

thanks,
-mike.