> This isn't always desirable, or even possible.  I once designed a
> database to hold characteristics for a series of 70 different tests.
> There were about 50 different characteristics used in various
> combinations for each test.  Each characteristic could be one of many
> values.  So the characteristics tables all looked like this:
>
>    id, name, value
>
> And the test tables looked like this:
>
>    id, name, value

In my experience, it's usually a safe assumption that if you have a bunch
of tables all structured identically and used in similar ways, you should
probably merge them all into a single table with an extra column that
corresponds to whatever differentiating characteristic used to distinguish
your original tables.

I.e., go with John Holmes' suggestion before you're really up the creek.