How can I get the numeric Index of an array when the index is a string?

i.e

$myArray = array ("first" => "my first value",
                   "second" => "my second value",
                   "third" => "my third value");

Lets say I want the Index of the "my second one": this would be "second" or numerid 1 (because the numeric index starts at zero).

How can I get the numeric index when I only have the string-index (so array_keys is a nono) without making a loop like:

$i = 0;
foreach ($myArray as $index => $value)
        {
        if ($index == 'second')
                {
                echo $i;
                }
        $i++;
        }

Is there another way to get the numeric index?

thanx,

Natascha