From: "Chris W. Parker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> on a related note... how does BENCHMARK() work? i don't understand their
> explanation. the reason i ask is because i'd like to test our the
> efficiency of what you are suggesting compared to what i am currently
> doing.
>
> SELECT BENCHMARK(500, 'SELECT * FROM table');
>
> although that didn't throw an error, it didn't seem to do anything
> either.
Getting OT here...

>From what I understand, you can't use complete queries in benchmark, only
"expressions". So, what you're actually benchmarking there is setting a
string, I guess.

You can use it for something like this, though:

SELECT BENCHMARK(500000,5 BETWEEN 0 AND 10);

and...

SELECT BENCHMARK(500000,0 < 5 AND 5 < 10);

to see which method MySQL handles faster (between benchmarks faster,
although I've always been lead to believe the < and < method is faster). I
don't know if i'd really interpret much from the results, though..

---John Holmes...