Ben Ford - Bio-Logic Aqua Technologies wrote:

Java Applets cannot connect to the same host they were loaded from. They run on the client machine as a local program. I know this because I attempted to run an applet and have it connect to a mysql server the lived on the web server.

Small clarification.

if an applet is launched from naturestreast.com it can connect to naturestreast.com. The only time it cannot connect to that server is when there is a firewall or proxy getting in the way.

It couldn't connect using localhost as the domain name of the

This is probably what caused you to tear your hair out. For the applet localhost means the client computer and not the server that it was launched from.

For any further discussions on this topic please message me off list - or let's get on to java list.

-- Raditha Dissanayake. --------------------------------------------- http://www.raditha.com/megaupload/upload.php Sneak past the PHP file upload limits.