http://us3.php.net/manual/en/function.strtotime.php

Note: The valid range of a timestamp is typically from Fri, 13 Dec 1901
20:45:54 GMT to Tue, 19 Jan 2038 03:14:07 GMT. (These are the dates that
correspond to the minimum and maximum values for a 32-bit signed integer.)
Additionally, not all platforms support negative timestamps, therefore
your date range may be limited to no earlier than the Unix epoch. This
means that e.g. dates prior to Jan 1, 1970 will not work on Windows, some
Linux distributions, and a few other operating systems.