On Jun 7, 2004, at 11:39 AM, Tyler Replogle wrote:

I just did all of that and it took me 1 hour and 35 mins

Just for grins and giggles, why don't I post the exact assignment specs?

FYI, I've never really had to deal with file uploads and downloads before. It probably took me to an hour to research PHP file upload/download/MySQL storage, and get that part working. I could do it much faster next time ;-)

As for the layout issue, I suppose that's my big 'weak point' as a developer. The templates I started from have a basic interface structure already, so I went ahead and developed the code and the basic interface together. That took extra time beyond just puking out the bare minimum. I've spent so many years doing database development for customers that I view the real functionality of an application by how the interface looks and acts more than how the underlying code is written. I just can't see the forest for the trees, and I can't see a functional web app without an interface that matches the workflow.

Anyway, here's the actual assignment specs:

--------------------
XXX Company is publishing an on-line journal and needs to provide a system for electronic manuscript management with the following features:
1. All submitted documents should be able to be uploaded and downloaded in word format.
2. There should be 3 user roles: Author, Reviewer and Editor
3. There should be a way for a new user to register as either one of the 3 roles. During registration, the new user should be able to enter first and last name, e-mail address and what kind of user he wishes to be (author, reviewer or editor).
4. When a user logs in to the system, he should be presented with a screen, depending on what role he has in the system.
a. As an editor, the user should be able to delete a user, change registration information of any user, view the status of each submitted article, view reviewer suggestions, accept or decline an article for publication, or assign it to a reviewer for review.
b. As a reviewer, the user should be able to download a submitted article to review and recommend the article for publication or not.
c. As an author, the user should be able to submit a file.
5. An article can have one of these states:
a. Submitted (after submission)
b. In review (after reviewers are assigned)
c. Accepted (if accepted by the editor)
d. Declined (if declined by the editor)
6. A typical workflow should consist of the following states:
a. An author submits an article. The article status becomes “submitted”. The editor may view the article (by downloading it) or assign it to a reviewer.
b. An editor assigns an article to a reviewer. The article status becomes “in review”. The reviewer may now download the article and he may also suggest accepting it or declining it.
c. A reviewer makes a suggestion. The article status remains “in review”. The editor may now view the suggestion of the reviewer and he may also accept or decline the article.
d. An editor accepts or declines an article. The article status becomes “accepted” or “declined” accordingly.