Hi Mike,

I'm not certain if it can be configured in a VirtualHost block,
though I know it can be configured in a Directory block (which
is equally as useful).

The problem I see below is you're using the wrong declaration;
instead of php_value, use php_admin_value, ie:
 php_admin_value include_path "...."

If that doesn't fix it, add a <Directory ...> </Directory> block
within the virthost declaration, and use php_admin_value there.

Regards,
James