This stuff is common in PHPbb. Usually you will find the constants like that located in the template files. The definitions for those constants are usually found in the php file associated with that template file. For example,
if you found "<form method="post" action="{S_MODE}">" in /templates/subsilver/memberlist_body.tpl, the definition for that constant would probably be found in /memberlist.php, like this:
'S_MODE' => append_sid("memberlist.$phpEx"))

Hope this helps.
Keith